Sunday, September 28, 2008

Finally............

The night before our sod arrived, the Rocket Scientist and I were working on putting our border in for the "flower beds." I use "flower beds" loosely. They will be filled with bushes, trees, flowers, a water feature and hopefully some of my garden mixed there too, but not until next year. Of course, the Seamonkeys were out helping us. When it was time to come in, I made everyone strip at the door and marched them stark naked to the shower. When the RS and I came back down stairs to clean up the clothes, we found this. Honestly, this was nothing! We picked them up by the legs only to discover the pockets were filled with dirt as well. Oh the joys of little boys. I have decided the saying over My Son's bed is so fitting. It goes like this: A boy is a symphony of noise loving covered in dirt. The next day the sod came and I am pretty sure I heard angels singing! We are truly blessed to have many friends and family so willing to jump in and help us. I can not thank them enough.

Cousins enjoying the newly laid sod brings a tear to my eye. You have no idea, how it has tortured the Wild Child not to have a space to run WILD.
This next one is my brother laying sod in my backyard. I'm telling you, this is a guy you want to know. He's genuine, honest, generous and about as smart as they come. Did I mention this guy has saved our backsides repeatedly with time and labor?
What do you suppose is on their these kiddo's mind? I really don't think this is an expression of patience.........but I have been wrong before.
The sod is finally all in. YAAAAAHOOOOOOOO! It is unfortunate for me to say that so far this is the only half way decent picture of it. After we finished up the job and the clean-up, I was too tired to walk back down the stairs to take a decent picture
So now I have a question for all of you. I need some trees, but I'm not sure what I want. I need a smallish tree that likes shade and a large, fast growing evergreen. Anyone have some suggestions?

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Your yard is awesome!!! I wish I had advice about trees, but that is not something I know anything about!! Great job getting things ready!

Jen said...

I am so happy for you. I know that I couldn't wait until we had grass but we planted seed.
I love the sand in the pants picture. I know that all too well, only I usually find it in his bed. He escapes before I can get the pants off at the back down.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you want advice from me about trees. Ours are all dead, but I didn't kill them. My parents have silver maples that and cottonless cotton wood. They really like them. I think they are full sun though.

As far as the evergreens go I'm not a fan of them. Unless you get the type that you can trim. TNT's grandmother thought evergreens were the best thing ever. Each spring we tackle a new place to pull them out. They are nice until they get away from you then they are a pain to deal with.

orangemily said...

It's coming together really nicely!

Stacy said...

As far as trees go, find a local nursery (not a place like Home Depot), and ask them. I have gotten the best advice from places like that. Try to find something that is native to your area and it should grow better.

Rhea said...

That's a huge yard, and I'm impressed how far y'all got on it this weekend. AWESOME!! The kids are going to LOVE it.

Rhea said...

And I know nothing about trees. I'm sorry.