Tuesday, April 14, 2009

No Loving Here

I can't remember if I have ever mentioned that as a family we struggle with traditions of our own. The Rocket Scientist had a very different version of the same holidays than I did growing up. Though, we don't argue about it, we haven't really set many traditions of our own.

One tradition we have managed to set is our Sunday night. We gather as a family and watch Extreme Makeover, Home Edition. Either the Rocket Scientist will make popcorn or I will make something else to snack on and we watch this show. I love this time. The kids will usually cuddle with us on the couch and we get to watch something of value. It is honestly about the only TV I get to see in a week.

Well Sunday night, the Wild Child announces in a very disgruntled voice, "I hate this show. It is just about loving and taking care of people and houses!" The RS and I did a double take and stifled our giggles. I think it actually comes down to she doesn't like to see me cry, but whatever. She got over it and was sitting next to me by the time they were taking down the old house.

After every episode, we talk about what we can do as a family to make this world a better place. The kids have some interesting ideas, but we will save that for another post.

11 comments:

Flea said...

:) Sounds like a fantastic tradition. Your kids always make me smile.

Stacy said...

I love that show! Logans favorite part is when they tear the house down. My other fav is The Biggest Loser. Very inspiring to see people transform their lives. Oh, and then there is Lost. Not sure why I like it but it intrigues me!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Ah, you'll love it! I went to the Exteme Makeover Home Edition in Keller, Texas which is not too far from me. I got photos with me in front of the house while they were building the new one. It was really neat to be there and see how they did it. I only wish I could have seen Ty. That would have made it perfect!

Glad you like my book! Let me know if you want to do a review.

Nancy said...

Oh that is so hilarious. I hate those blasted shows about loving people and taking care of people. She is awesome. AND, we used to always have Sunday dinner at one of our parent's houses, but once we moved away we started a pretty similar Sunday night tradition (just with loving caring old Disneys instead of loving caring home makeovers) -- even with the husband making popcorn. Now that we are back, we miss a lot of family dinners simply because we love that tradition too.

cat said...

That sounds like a great tradition! I love that show, but have not seen it here for a while. We are probably a few series behind (again)!

Karen said...

We love the show, too. I just wish that we would have submitted our neighbor to have their house rebuilt after the fire. Still kicking myself for that.

Unknown said...

That is sooo sweet. we like to all cuddle up & watch TV together as well... have to enjoy as long as the kids want to hang out with us...
They grow up sooo fast..; (

Hope all is well there... thanks for the comments! Bjørn is doing much better!

Anonymous said...

I watch that show just to see Ty. But I have to say he's starting to get to the age where he shouldn't be dressing the way he does. And please do something with that hair! But I like watching and the message the show sends out is great.

orangemily said...

What a fun tradition.
I love EMHE, I cry every time!

Jen said...

what a great family tradition. I can't wait to here her ideas. ;)

Krista said...

Yeah, I hate all that sappy stuff, too! Who cares as long as there is popcorn!